FXI Technologies has recently just released in limited availability the Cotton Candy miniaturized dual-core PC computer the size of a USB flash drive.
The FXI cotton candy is referred to as an “any screen computer” which really means it’s a tiny miniaturized fully capable PC computer that doesn’t come with a screen or monitor. These miniaturized computer devices are ideal for embeded applications including portable set top box gaming and entertainment equipment, mobile “any screen” computing, and a full range of specialized applications including medical, automotive, security, surveillance, and other dedicated solutions.
This tiny fully contained computer is packed with impressive raw horsepower and offers integrated HDMI, USB and MicroUSB connectivity for surprising flexibility in the portable market.
And let’s talk about just how how tiny and compact. The Cotton Candy miniaturized PC on a stick weighs only 21 grams. That’s just a little over 1/2 ounce. The dimensions of this super miniaturized computer are roughly 3 inches in length and a bit over 1/2 inch in width.
The cotton candy architecture will lend itself as an ideal add on to smartphones, tablet computers and notebook PCs including Macs. In addition, the device is perfect for adding intelligent computing capabilities to displays, set top boxes and gaming consoles.
FXI Cotton Candy Technical Specifications
- ARM® Cortex™ A9 1.2GHz Central Processing Unit (CPU) with NEON extensions and Trustzone extensions.
- ARM® Mali™ 400MP Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) delivers 720p and 1080p OpenGL ES v2.0, can process 30M Polygons and 1.2 GPixels per second.
- Wifi 802.11 b/g/n network connectivity.
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.
- 1GB DRAM memory.
- Up to 64GB expandable memory with microSD local storage.
- Supports standard OS’s including, Android (Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich), Linux (Ubuntu), and includes embedded virtualization client for Windows, Linux, Mac.
- USB 2.0 port for power and connection to devices that support USB mass storage.
- HDMI 2.1 port with audio.
- Decodes MPEG-4, H.264 and other video formats, displays HD graphics on any HDMI equipped screen.
FXI Technologies (www.fxitech.com) is a Norway-based hardware and software startup with a focus on improving the world of digital screens with smart and personal capabilities. This includes initiatives
- Improving consumer access to Cloud computing.
- Accelerate the adoption and use of “smart screen” technologies.
- Easy ability to share media and content (videos, movies, photos, games, etc.) from mobile and portable devices on large screens and projectors.
FXI Cotton Candy, the PC on a stick, may very well open up even more exciting embedded computing applications around the corner, and we’ll be ready to talk about it here at Mint Gadgets. If you’re interested in learning more about the cotton candy miniature PC on a stick, you can visit the comunity website at cstick.com where development units are available now for pre-order.
Source: [FXI - cstick.com]
The standard wired controller that ships with the Xbox 360 can wear out after many hours of heavy use and play. Buttons can jam, analog sticks can stop working and you may need to think about replacing your tired Xbox 360 controller with a new one. By far, the most popular replacement controller is the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller.
The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller is a lot more convenient and natural to operate than the standard wired controller. No more wires and cables to get in your way. And you can more easily and naturally move about the room and stay focused on your game play with up to a 30 foot wireless range.
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller Features
- Communicates with the Xbox console using 2.4GHz wireless technology with a 30-foot range
- You can play with up to four controllers simultaneously on one Xbox console
- Adjustable vibration feedback extends longer battery life
- Includes an integrated headset port for Xbox LIVE play
- Easy to use left and right shoulder buttons
- Xbox 360 Guide button lets you keep track of your friends, access games and media, and power your Xbox 360 console on and off
The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller promotes ultra high performance gaming. You can even plug the Xbox 360 Headset into the wireless controller for full two-way voice communication. This is an Xbox 360 gaming wireless first.
The controller is powered by two AA batteries, and can operate for up to 40 hours before a recharge is needed. The battery charge won’t last as long if you have the vibration feedback at full tilt. A vibration feedback control lets you adjust the level of vibration which helps extend the battery life.
The wireless controller has a battery charging unit on the inside, about the size of two AA batteries. The standard battery charger does not allow you to continue to use the wireless controller while the batteries are re-charging.
A separate “Play and Charge Kit” is available that does allow you to continue playing while you charge the batteries. As the batteries begin to run low, you’re given ample warning time so you can connect a “Play and Charge Kit” for uninterrupted play. With the separate “Play and Charge Kit” you plug the charger into the back of the wireless controller, and the other end attaches to the USB port located on the front of the Xbox 360 console.
For multi-user play, you’ll want to get your hands on more than one Xbox 360 wireless controller. You can play with up to four wireless controllers on one Xbox 360 console. These smaller, more compact controllers also help keep your gaming area free of clutter. Wireless controllers are definitely the way to go for multi-user gaming with your friends.
Price: $35.99 (Play and Charge Kit extra)
Millions of people love to play Angry Birds. Well, now you can listen to the Angry Birds sing (or maybe that should be squawk) with these new Angry Bird Speakers. For all those Angry Birds fans out there, these Angry Birds Speakers are a cool way to listen to your favorite music. Just plug these speakers into your favorite device (iPhones, iPods, iPads, MP3 Players, notebook computers, etc.) and enjoy the music audio.
There are actually three different versions of the Angry Birds Speakers. They don’t all work with the same range of devices so be careful and make sure you choose the right one.
Angry Birds Speakers Come In Three Different Versions
- Red Bird: Compatible with anything you can plug a 3.5 mm jack into. That’s just about any music player, any phone, any tablet, and any gaming system. If you can plug headphones into it will work with the Red Bird speakers. The included stand will hold up most devices, but isn’t necessary for the function of Red Bird as a speaker. ($64.99 at ThinkGeek)
- Black Bird: Compatible with iPod, iPad, and iPhone only (specific models below in specifications). You can dock your iPod, iPad and iPhone device on the included stand and the Black Bird will amplify and play your music. ($84.99 at ThinkGeek)
- Helmet Pig: Compatible with iPod and iPhone only (specific models below in specifications). You can dock your device on top of Pig’s helmet to play your favorite tunes. ($99.99 at ThinkGeek)
The Helmet Pig model is designed for the iPod and iPhone only and comes with a built-in iPod and iPhone dock.
Angry Bird Speakers Specifications
- 2:1 stereo speakers, each speaker rated at 30 watts
- Adjustable volume and bass tone controls
- Stand for your phone, mp3 player, or tablet included
- Choose from three different versions
- Red Bird: works with any device that supports headphones with a 3.5mm jack.
- Black Bird: Only works with iPod, iPad and iPhone.
- Helmet Pig: Only works with iPod and iPhone
- iPhone, iPhone 3G/S, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
- iPod mini, iPod Classic, iPod with video, iPod Nano (1st-5th), iPod Touch (1st-4th)
- iPad, iPad 2 (Red Bird and Black Bird only)
- The Angry Birds Speakers are officially licensed Angry Birds collectibles
Price: $64.99 to $99.99 (price varies by model, see above)
The new Roku XS 1080p Streaming Player builds on the original flagship Roku player with full 1080p HD streaming, faster wi-fi, and even motion-based gaming for plenty of exciting entertainment right on your TV.
But first, what is a Roku player?
The Roku XS player is a small add-on box that you attach to your home network, either by wi-fi or a wired ethernet port. This gives the box access to the Internet. Then you attach the Roku player to your TV or home entertainment system, preferably using the HDMI connection. The result is access right on your TV to an ever-growing lineup of streaming media including over 350 entertainment channels such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO-GO, Amazon Instant Video, and much more …
In fact, if you’re interested in the full current channel lineup provided by the Roku XS 1080p Streaming Player, here’s the lineup (as of Dec 2011).
- Hulu Plus
- Amazon Instant Video
- HBO GO
- NHL Gamecenter LIVE
- Angry Birds
- WSJ Live
- CNBC Real Time
- Fox News
And the list is growing all the time …
Do keep in mind that some of the channel access provide by the Roku XS require a membership account, for example Netflix or HBO-GO.
The Roku XS 1080p Streaming Player is easy to setup. It’s compatible with virtually all TVs. It’s a simple connection to your home network (either wi-fi, wired ethernet or a USB port) and your TV preferably through the HDMI port (for full 1080p HD and Dolby 5.1 surround sound), but the device provides all the standard ways to connect including the composite A/V combo output ( composite connection limits you to standard-definition only). It literally takes just minutes to setup and you’re ready to go!
The device supports a Bluetooth enabled game remote. And a MicroSD memory card slot so you can add extra storage for channels and games if you need it. The XS remote features motion sensors so you can play games with a flick of a wrist, like the included full Angry Birds game
Roku XS 1080p Streaming Play – Learn More
Ready for a little relaxing game entertainment. The Roku XS 1080p Streaming Player includes a Bluetooth enabled remote with sensors that support motion-based game play like the free full version of Angry Birds that comes included. The remote also sports game-ready buttons for responsive button action that will satisfy even the serious game players.
Some of the most popular games include Angry Birds, PAC-MAN Championship Edition, Galaga, and Storm in a Teacup. And the MicroSD slot enables you to add extra storage to hold more games in the future. New games are being added all the time.
There is a less expensive Roku LT (light) entry level device at $49, but we think for just a little more money, you’ll want to spring for the full Roku XS 1080p Streaming Player with all the features and capabilities. At under $100, this is the best value option to easily access an almost unlimited supply of streaming media over the Internet as well as an ever-growing list of popular games.
The Roku XS 1080p is the perfect gift for the holiday season this year, and something the entire family will appreciate and enjoy. Get your order in today at Amazon to arrive before Christmas (the $98 price qualifies for FREE super-saving shipping if you order now) .
The dawn of a new technological age foresees humans literally downing themselves in iPhone’s, iPads or even android based mobile phones and tablets, which can practically do anything under the sun. With the advancement in audio and visual devices such as the Himedia Android-powered Media Player, however, television sets are also moving towards a better future.
The Himedia Android-powered media player comes in two different editions; one with and one without (can be upgraded with a Wifi USB dongle) a built-in Wifi adapter. Both editions, however, come with a gigabyte Ethernet hub for LAN connections and an integrated web browser that allows you to surf the Internet once the device is connected to an Internet connection and a television set.
Enjoy playing your Angry Birds on your mobile phone? Well, you’ll be pleased to hear that the Himedia not allows you surf the internet but also allow you to download and run any Android application or games that can be found in the Android Marketplace. You might need a better remote control to play it though!
Besides that, just like an average media player, the Himedia can also play various video and audio formats such as WMV, DIV, RMVB, MP3, WMA and so on. It also allows playback for external video formats such as DVD iso and Blue-ray iso. Popping the top hatch reveals a dock which fits a 3.5” SATA HDD for extra storage. HDMI sockets and coaxial sockets allow for connections on different television sets.